Monday, January 7, 2013

My Father...


A wise man once told me "Deal with it!". That wise man was my father. His words sometimes would sting a part of me that made me think "What the hell does he know?" but then I grew up and now I find myself more often than not saying "You were right dad... You were very smart..." I miss him to this very day. It will be 8 years this May. He wasn't the model citizen in his younger days, but he was one of the most honorable men I ever knew and one of the best friends and fathers I could have ever asked for. He kept me safe and made sure I was provided for. Not just in the sense that he bought things for me, but in the sense that no matter what I would be able to survive on my own. He gave me the ability to do many things for my self and not have to rely on others for so many things in life. He taught me independence and the basics of how to figure things out. So when something breaks, I try (And usually succeed) to fix it myself. When I want to improve something, I do it myself. Again, he wasn't exactly the perfect person, but to me he was the perfect father.

They say when you lose a loved one that they will always be there watching over you. To be honest, I never believed in that mumbo jumbo. Honestly, who wants to be in the middle of sex and think "Wow, so my dead relatives are watching me now?" Not me, that's for sure. But there have been many of times that I've felt like he was right there next to me when I needed him. You can keep your spiritual nonsense and your religious folklore. I have my heart and my memories and that's all I need to survive in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment