Thursday, January 10, 2013

Be an Adult for Christs sake...

So today I had the pleasure of being screamed at again by my co-worker. He's 5 years my senior, college educated and seems to think that his view in life is superior to keen intellect and past experience of those who have knowledge in areas he does know. Simply put, he's an artist that knows how to "Use" a computer and printer, but couldn't figure out how to take one apart if his life depended on it. I for one am the person who knows how to both use the equipment while also knowing how to maintain and repair it as well.

So we have this printer that I've been using for the past 4 years now. He's been there only the last 2 years. The printer has a "Sleep" function so it saves power. When a job is set to the print cue, the printer wakes up and resumes functioning once it has warmed back up. This is how this machine has worked since day one.

I had asked him to print some items for me and when I noticed that over an hour had gone by and the prints weren't done (Or even started for that matter) I went to ask if he had done them (You know, instead of yelling at him that I've been waiting for them for half the day now) and he said no he didn't but he said he hit the button to send the jobs. He then asked if the printer was asleep and I said yes, but it should wake up when it gets a job. He says, and I quote "In my experience it doesn't do that..." Your experience? You've been here for 2 years, you've sent numerous jobs to this printer and you never paid attention to when it wakes up? At this point I'm holding my tongue from telling him how much of an unobservant idiot he is. I simply tell him "No *Name*, the printer wakes up when you send a job to it. It's supposed to do that." So then he replies back, now raising his voice "Well in my experience it doesn't do that!" to which I replied "I've been using this particular printer for the last 4 years and I know for a fact that it does, it's a built in function" and before I can finish I get even louder now "IN MY FUCKING EXPERIENCE IT DOESN'T DO THAT! FUCK MAN! WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!".... So screaming this at me will make it come true? Or you're telling me that I've been in some sort of delusional state for the last four years and the "Sleep" and "Wake" functions have all been just a dream? No, I think not my technologically illiterate friend. So my reply was "Dude, you don't have to scream at me ok? I'm just saying I know how the printer works rather well since I've been using it for so long" and again I'm cut off to more colorful words and screaming from his desk, to which he has not gotten up from to even see the printer wake up on its own anyways. I just said "Look, it turned on by itself just now so yes it does wake up when you send a job to it. Grow the fuck up and stop screaming at me and stop being a baby..." Mind you my tone and volume were far lower than his.

I walked back to the printer 2 minutes later only to notice he started printing the wrong job anyways so I had to clear the print cue and ask him to start the correct one this time. *sigh*

Simply put, when I have a question on Art History or what mystical bullshit alien conspiracy is hot today, then I'll trust your word. But when there's a technical issue or question, you best let the one with over half his life in experience handle the facts on that one, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment